The Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships (OGSAF) administers several fellowships and scholarships for prospective and current graduate students at the George Washington University.
Scholarship and fellowship funding will impact the amount of loan money that may be borrowed. Any awards should be reported to the Office of Student Financial Assistance on the Verification of Outside Awards Form.
If you receive an award from GW or from another entity it's important that you review your award letter to ensure you follow the award's requirements. If you have questions about the award, please contact your awarding department directly. Contact information will be in the award letter.
These fellowships and scholarships can be divided into three categories:
- Student Application Awards: these awards require interested graduate students to complete an application on OGSAF's application portal.
- GW-Specific External Awards: these awards require interested graduate students to complete an application through an external organization's website, but are only available to GW students.
- Department Nomination Awards: these awards require departments to nominate students based on their GW admissions materials and academic performance. NO ACTION is required from students to be considered for these awards.
Student Application Awards*
- ARCS Foundation Scholarships- application process managed by schools
- Daughters of the American Revolution Scholarship
- East Asia Languages: FLAS Academic Year Fellowship
- FLAS Summer Fellowship
- George and May Shiers Memorial Fund Fellowship
- Loughran Graduate Fellowship
- Middle East Languages: FLAS Academic Year Fellowship
- Phi Delta Gamma Scholarship Fund
- Presidential Fellowship
- Scottish Rite Fellowships
- Walter Green Fellowships
- Wolcott Foundation Fellowship
* Please note that these awards are offered as funding allows and may not be offered every academic year.
GW-Specific External Awards*
* Please note that these awards are offered by external organizations and OGSAF cannot guarantee that they will be offered every academic year. These applications are hosted by the external organizations. Once awarded, OGSAF will administer the funding.
Department Nomination Awards
Eligible students are nominated for these awards by their department based on their GW admissions materials and their academic performance. NO ACTION is required from students to be considered for these awards as all nominations are submitted internally. Students selected for these awards will be notified directly as part of their admissions decision.
- CCAS-ESIA Graduate Assistantship and University Fellowship
- Policy Studies Endowment Fellowship
- Provost's Diversity Fellowship
- Ronald E. McNair Fellowship
- Selective Excellence Graduate Assistantship and University Fellowship
- University Professor Graduate Assistantship and Fellowship
Your award letter will inform you of the requirements and restrictions of the award. Some common language utilized in award letters:
- Stackable versus Non-Stackable
Stackable tuition fellowships can be combined with other tuition fellowships, as long as the combined total does not exceed the cost of tuition. Non-stackable tuition fellowships cannot be combined with other tuition fellowships. If you receive a non-stackable award with a stackable award, you will need to decline one of the awards.
It is important to note that an outside award that is a tuition fellowship must be reported to your department if you have also received a GW departmental award.
- Renewable versus Non-Renewable
Some awards at the graduate level can be held for more than one year, while others are only for one semester or one academic year. If your award is only for one semester or one year (non-renewable) you may still be able to apply or be considered for the award. Details will be in your award letter or you may contact your awarding department for more information.