School and Department Funding

The George Washington University is de-centralized at the graduate level. This means that schools and departments have their own limited sources of funding support aside from the Office of Student Financial Aid and the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships (OGSAF) (Unless otherwise indicated below.)

Newly admitted graduate students are additionally reviewed for scholarship and fellowship (tuition, assistantship, stipend) support by respective schools and departments. Typically newly admitted students will be notified if they are a recipient of a school/department scholarship or fellowship shortly after receiving their admittance letter but this can vary by school. Schools and departments also vary in what support they may have available. Therefore, it is important for prospective students to ask the admissions office of available funding support aside from loans and opportunities from the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships. 

Funding support for current students also varies in availability by school and department.

Please visit Financial Aid Opportunities for more information on funding options for study at CPS.

The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS) offers many funding opportunities for its graduate students. Many departments offer graduate teaching assistantships or University fellowships to full-time degree candidates. Students must reapply each year for these merit-based awards, which include a salary, stipend, and 18-credit-hour tuition award. A few departments also offer research assistantships. For more information, visit their Graduate Student Funding page.

Disability Support Services (DSS) at GW recognizes disability in the context of diversity. They work collaboratively with students, faculty and staff across the campus to foster a climate of universal academic excellence, while also promoting disability culture and GW’s broader diversity and inclusion initiatives. 

DSS awards several scholarships to currently enrolled, degree-seeking students at GW.

The Elliott School offers a number of highly competitive awards, mostly to entering full-time Master of Arts candidates. Factors considered in the fellowship selection process include academic achievement, scores on the Graduate Record Examination, language skills, academic interests, work experience, preparation in relevant areas, and a demonstrated ability to excel in a rigorous graduate program. For more information, visit their Funding Graduate Studies page.

Students in the Graduate School of Education and Human Development (GSEHD) may apply for merit-based fellowships, assistantships and endowment awards. For more information, please visit their Funding Your Graduate Education page.

Milken is a closed unit, which means it has its own sources of funding for fellowships, scholarships and assistantships. If you have questions about funding at Milken or you have a current award with the School, please contact them directly.

The Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships (OGSAF) offers some fellowships and scholarships for prospective and current students. These fellowships and scholarships have different eligibility requirements and require an application through OGSAF's application portal.

The School of Business offers a variety of fellowships as well as employer tuition discounts. Please visit their Fellowships and Financial Support page for more information.

If you have received an award from the School of Business, please contact them directly.

Graduate students are eligible for assistance, most of which is merit-based and includes research assistantships, teaching assistantships, scholarships, fellowships, awards, and employment opportunities. Research assistantships make up the largest portion of aid available to students in the School. Details on available support are provided on their Funding Your Graduate Education page

The School of Medicine & Health Sciences is a closed unit. Please visit The Office of Financial Aid for the MD program for information about loans. Please visit  Funding and Support for an overview of funding options at SMHS. A summary of research support is also available on SMHS's Grant Support page.


The School of Nursing is a closed unit and has in-depth information on aid and fellowship and scholarship support on its Costs and Attendance page.

The GW Law Financial Aid Office administers a variety of institutional scholarships, need-based grants, and loans that are awarded on the basis of merit or financial need. Details on the variety of aid and support are provide via  Types of Aid. Scholarships and Summer funding are also available