Tuition fellowships funded by income from a Scottish Rite endowment given to the George Washington University, are awarded for the academic year to full-time graduate students in the Elliott School of International Affairs, the School of Business, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Professional Studies, or the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University Foggy Bottom campus. Tuition awards will apply only to course registration during the academic year, excluding Summer Sessions, on the Foggy Bottom campus. Award amounts can vary by semester. Awards may stackable*. While priority is given to full-time students, part time students (those taking at least 6 credits per semester) may apply and will be considered for awards, if funding is available.
- Full-Time Study Awards: Up to twelve credits per Academic Year (six in Fall and six in Spring), requires a minimum of nine credits registration per semester.
- Part-Time Study Awards: Up to six credits per Academic Year (three in fall and three in spring), requires a minimum registration of six credits per semester.
Note: Awards for end of program registrations that require less than six credits per semester will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Preference is for applicants who do not already hold a graduate degree at the time of application. (Awards do not cover Summer Sessions.)
*Some Scottish Rite awards may not be combined with other awards. This will be indicated in recipient's award letters with other terms. If awards are stackable, they cannot exceed the total cost of tuition and will be adjusted. GW awards do not cover fees.
- US Citizenship.
- Incoming or current students on the Foggy Bottom campus in one of the applicable graduate schools listed above.
- Verified affiliation with a US Scottish Rite organization with eligibility confirmation. Applicants (not Scottish Rite members, unless the applicant is a member) must submit a Verification of Scottish Rite Eligibility Form to [email protected] in order for the application to be reviewed. Eligibility is confirmed by the Scottish Rite if either the applicant's great grandfather, grandfather, father, uncle, or self is or has been a 32 degree Scottish Rite member. (No exceptions). (Membership must be in the United States Scottish Rite and the member must be in good standing. No exceptions.) Correspondence will be directed only to the student applying for eligibility.) NOTE: If you are a recipient of a Scottish Rite Undergraduate Scholarship at GWU and are applying to GWU for graduate school in one of the schools listed, please fill out this form and email it to [email protected]. Undergraduate recipients do not need to go through the eligibility process again but need to be accepted into one of the eligible schools.
- Academic excellence as demonstrated by undergraduate transcripts (and graduate transcripts, if applicable).
- Intending full-time study (a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester or 18 credit hours per academic year) or part-time study (a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester or 12 credit hours per academic year) in a master's or doctoral degree program on the Foggy Bottom campus.
NOTE: Recipients must enroll in at least nine credits per semester for full-time awards (Spring and Fall) and at least six credits per semester for part-time awards. No exceptions. This award cannot be applied to Summer Sessions. No exceptions.
Once received, the form will be sent to the Scottish Rite for formal verification. You will be notified once OGSAF receives notice. Note: Eligibility should be verified before proceeding further with the application process. It can take two weeks to three months to confirm eligibility and this process cannot be expedited. It is strongly suggested that applicants submit their eligibility form far in advance before the application deadline. The Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships will contact applicants once eligibility is confirmed. If you are a student who has been offered admission at GWU, our office cannot guarantee that your eligibility form will be processed and/or application reviewed before your decision date to attend GWU.
Complete the Scottish Rite Endowment Graduate Fellowship application.
Fellowships are renewable for an additional year for Master's candidates or for four additional years for doctoral students. Part-time students may be renewed for additional years. Recipients must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA, continue to enroll in full-time study and understand that the award will only be applied for Fall and Spring semesters. Recipients must submit a Request for Renewal application form, which will be sent to current recipients in the Spring semester from the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships.