Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers research, study and teaching opportunities in over 140 countries. The grants are designed to give U.S. students the opportunity to live and study in a foreign country for one academic year, increasing mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries.

Types of Grants

Academic/Research: Applications for Fulbright U.S. Student Program grants will be considered for academic study or research, or a combination of the two. Depending on the country of application, grants may be for graduate study which lead toward a terminal degree.

Arts: Applications for Fulbright U.S. Student Program grants will be considered for practical training in the creative and performing arts.

ETA: The English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Program places recent college graduates and young professionals as English teaching assistants in primary, secondary schools or universities overseas - improving foreign students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing the U.S. student's own language skills and knowledge of the host country.

Fulbright-Nat Geo: Applications will provide in-depth examination of a globally relevant theme or themes. Utilizing a variety of digital storytelling tools (including text, photography, video, audio, graphic illustrations, and/or social media, etc.), Fellows will tell their stories, or the stories of those they meet, and publish their work on a dedicated blog hosted on the National Geographic website. Applicants who apply to Fulbright-Nat Geo will also be considered for an Academic/Research Grant.


The GW deadline is September 17th, 2021.  A breakdown of important dates and the process at GW at the graduate level are included in Fulbright Dates and Deadlines.

  • U.S. citizen
  • Language proficiency sufficient to communicate with the people of the host country.
  • Applicant must have a bachelor's degree or the equivalent before the beginning date of the grant. Applicants may not hold a doctorate at the time of application (some exceptions, depending upon the field and country). Creative and performing artists are not required to have a bachelor's degree, but must have four years of professional study or equivalent experience.
  • Applicants must apply through GWU if enrolled in a graduate degree at the time of application. Alumni may apply directly by the national deadline, or may apply through GWU.
  • Applicant may make only one application in a given year to one country.
  • Countries and number of awards vary from year to year. 
  • Please consult the Regional and Individual Country Summaries section of the Fulbright and website before starting your application.
  • If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program at GWU, you are required to apply through GWU. Graduate student alumni may apply directly to Fulbright by the national deadline, or may apply through GWU. GWU-affiliated applicants must have an in-person interview with GWU's Campus Committee and must meet with Eileen Lavelle, GW Fulbright Advisor, before submitting an application. (Note: the Campus Committee is an evaluation committee only.)

All current graduate student applicants must meet with Eileen Lavelle, GW Fulbright Advisor prior to submitting a Fulbright application. Please contact Eileen Lavelle ([email protected]) to schedule an appointment.

Undergraduates apply through the Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research and should contact [email protected]. Undergraduate alumni may apply At-Large or affiliate with GW. Undergraduate alumni applying for academic study at the graduate level (MA, JD, PhD, etc) via the Fulbright should contact our office.

The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students to conduct research in other countries in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of 6 to 12 months. Proposals focusing on Western Europe are not eligible. Students must apply through their institution of higher education. Email Eileen Lavelle ([email protected]) for more information.